Saturday, March 26, 2016

How to write a blog...




Many people wonder how to go about writing a blog.  How does one even start?

Like many things, it is a matter of sitting down and just doing it.

However, there are certain rituals that must be performed before the writing begins.  For those of you interested in the process, I thought I would share mine.

First of all, I like to start with a nap.  This allows me to think about a topic I want to write about while simultaneously not overthinking it, because most likely I will have fallen asleep within minutes.  Upon waking with a start, it is important to then get mad at oneself for wasting the afternoon on that nap when you know your imaginary fans are waiting to read your next episode.  I have always performed best under self-inflicted pressure, although I'm not sure if I've ever really done anything in a timely fashion.  So maybe the first half of that last statement is only accurate based on a lack of knowledge and experience.  I suspect I will never know.

I turn the computer on next, and while it is booting up there is always plenty of time to start a load of laundry and begin boiling a dozen eggs.  Since writing can also be very intense and fatiguing, I quickly prepare some sort of nourishment to keep my brain alert.  Usually protein.  This afternoon I had three spoonfuls of peanut butter and a bite of leftover grilled tuna.  The time is drawing close, where pen will finally meet paper.  I think I am ready.

Finally the computer is up and running, although now the first load of laundry is ready to go into the dryer.  I have no idea how that happened.  It seems like it's only been about three minutes since I turned the computer on.  Quite possibly I may have diverted to Facebook for awhile.  Who knows? 

Again, I am forced to stop absolutely everything that was just about to happen concerning my writing so I can put the clothes in the dryer and start another load.  And wouldn't you know it, the timer is going off on the boiled eggs.

Who has time to write?

No comments:

Post a Comment